Friday, January 21, 2005

Going with the Flow...

I am prejudiced. I do some things just for the heck of doing it... But one thing I have always tried to avoid is going with the flow...I never am the one to do things just because others did it...

Some flows I have seen in my life and what I did....

Have to study in a well-recognised school (Had no control)

Have to take up tuitions to do well in board exams (Refused, cos I knew I could perform with what I learnt in skool)

Have to go for IIT classes to get into IIT (Accepted, cos I knew I was too lazy to read books)

Have to take up an engineering course to succeed in life (I did take up Comp Engg, but out of love for the subject...I have to mention I was damn tempted to take up commerce and do my CA as well, that was a close second).

Have to write GRE/SAT and go to US for undergrad (Refused, told my parents clearly I wont write GRE or TOEFL as I dint wanna go to US - I knew India was the best even then)

Have to go to US after graduation for masters and to earn good money (Refused, even though I am not in India at present)

Have to be employed in a good company to do well in life (Refused till now...been in a smaller company than most of my peers, earn lesser than almost all my peers....but I feel guardedly optimistic about my life so far)

I am basically a very competitive person (I dont like to lose even against my 5 yr nephew, but I win something like 3-2 to make him feel better). So I felt that I can attain success in whatever I do, regardless of whether I am appreciated or boo-ed by others. The main reasons for going with the flow is the external pressures and internal apprehensions about failures. I feel that you must listen and assimilate the opinions of others, but must take your own decisions without being influenced by others. And you should not be afraid of failures (and I have met a few already). The best if you can learn from your failures and negative comments, and improve upon it. Its all about doing better than yourself. Not about doing better than others. In that case, you either have limited appetite for success or you get dejected and depressed.

Classic example is my poetry. Well, I wanna blog abt my poetry a little while later, so I will just say that you have to decide what is right or wrong for you. What is right for you may be wrong for others, but you have to realise its right to be wrong....as long as you are right according to your set of morals and principals and virtues and values. Dont get down, dont gets scared, juz do it ur way...Cos at the end of your life, you might have done better or worse than others, but im sure then that you will have the happiness of having lived your life the way you wanted it to be...

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

No comments: