Sunday, June 10, 2018

Bhutan Trip - Prologue




Land of the Thunder Dragon. I have always been enchanted by this mythical kingdom nestled in the Himalayas, with its penchant for Gross National Happiness, a beautiful King-Queen pair and a promise of bliss. But I never thought that I would visit it one day as it wasn't very high up my travel bucket list.

However, it all changed in a week in April 2018. I was going through a very excruciating emotional week personally, with thoughts of my late parents flooding me and wrecking me inside out. I just wanted to get away somewhere to get my head sorted out. The next day over coffee with my colleagues, the topic of happiness came up and I remarked that Bhutan is the land of happiness. That night, coincidentally, my wife brought up Bhutan as a potential option for the next vacation and Voila! There it was to be..

Frantic booking plans and internet searches got me connected to Yak Holidays, and a package was finalized. Doing further research resulted in me panicking a lot. Yak Holidays was not in Bhutan's approved tour operators' list; so I sent an enquiry to Bhutal Tourism to check on the travel agent. The next day, I got a reply from Yak Holidays and I realized why Bhutan was special! Bhutan Tourism had forwarded my mail to Yak Holidays, who responded with the warmest email I have even seen - Apologizing for the error with the national Tourism website and that they had immediately ensured their agency was listed correctly. While I was a bit contrite, they made no mention about my error of judgement and instead thanked me for highlighting the error. Now I really needed to go there and find out more about the lovely country.


No comments: