Saturday, December 25, 2004

Career woes

Sometimes you feel you are just doing ordinary work, when you are capable of doing extra ordinary things. When this conflict arises, a lot of things which seem to be minor are exaggerated in one's mind and leads to restlessness. It makes people think that what they do is not really worth it. But what they feel they might be doing otherwise is a question to ponder about. A lot of people are very precise in their decision making abilities and know what they want in life. $$$. If the other guy gives a $100 extra, just forget it and jump jobs. Having been brought up in India, where humility and loyalty are not inculcated but inbibed, I find it tough to go with this trend. In a place where loyalty has no place in the dictionary and everything goes by the needs of the business hour, it is tough for a "traditional" guy like me. Although I know I have the "stuff" that gives you value, and I can "brag" about it to anyone who might care to listen, I am used to getting accolades by the platter, I never had to ask for one. Incidentally, you are never paid for what you are worth, but for what you are "willing" to be paid. In my case, sadly I was "willing" to be paid low being forced by the low-key economy at that time. And ofcourse, bosses are not bosses for nothing, they try to get the "stuff" from you without giving in much on their side.

This conflict in the mind gives rise to the scenario that you must rebel, not only against your bosses, but against the society you are brought up in (with its set of values like loyalty), in order to get your worth, OR do you stay and try to turn the tables upside down, try to get the corporates to change their stance and make them value people, not just their "stuff". Ofcourse, the former is by far the easier and more practical, and a lot of people opt for that. There is this unquestionable argument that if you have the "stuff", you can grow in any organization, regardless of the size and your current stature. But, if you believe in the first place that you are capable of doing extra-ordinary things, why cant you start right now? Starting small helps in this regard!

I would say it is the fear that your "prime" might be well past before you can achieve what you set out to achieve. The question is, in essence, do you want to get more money or do you want to make life better? It might seem redundant, but I feel that the money-life relationship is linear, but life-money is exponential. Ofcourse, for the corporates, it aint easy as well. While they might still whine about their individual salaries, when it comes to employee benefits, they always see it as a "cost". I was perplexed when I found one simple truth. What we call "pazhamozhi" or "sayings" are actually derived from reality. One such saying goes "Even if you win a rat race, you are still a rat". Could really feel the impact in the last meeting I had with my boss, when I heard the phrase "you programmers are crap....", should I mention the rest?. Although I was amused thinking of what would happen if none of "us programmers" turned up for work just one day... I understood technology and innovation comes with a price tag....branding...of the creators!

To come back into the dilemma I am facing, I can see a lot of people (Well, those who care to read through this) say "you should ask yourself what you need in life". Just think about it, its always about not what you need, but its what you get, which in turn is always not enough! On the other hand, your company has to think about what you need! That change is what I am striving for, and I guess at this point of time, it appears totally ridiculous and crazy to everyone. I might falter and get frustrated to join another company (when I am past my breaking point), in which case I might succeed as an individual but fail in my quest, or I might stick around and even manage to change the way the corporates think (supposing it is possible), but fail miserably in my personal life. So this is the risk!

I always tell people that "You always have temptations. Its a personal choice whether you want to take it or not". Lemme conclude by saying that the choice I made 6 months back is under review...

Random Access
The search has just begun !!! (to focus and redefine....)

No comments: