Monday, December 20, 2004

Humble lesson in management!

For starters, its a BIG BAAAAAAAAAAD world out there! Juz bak home from a gruelling 87 hr work-day. Yeah, been there at office for the last 4 days. Everyone has this fantasy of staying back all weekend at work and doing work. Its a fantasy cos nobody gets to do it. All nice things have their end...but this was a "dead end". After getting a big dose of "encouragement" from my boss on friday, I got so frustrated that I just wanted to finish my work and prove that I can do it. "it" is often used by IT people to mean something which is supposed to be really big, but is often quite simple. But in this case, it was something I had never thot i would end up doing! I realised halfway during the "day" that I am actually doing other people work and that people I was supposed to manage were so good that I couldnt talk a word. I vowed tht I would hear no more from him and that I will do my best and finish off the work before I go home. And the result....

I dint expect praise, I dint expect consideration, but i never did expect the outcome of this episode! - a good half an hour lecture on time management and how I had made my staff come to work on weekends for a coupla hrs and how it reduces employee productivity (dude, im there for...dammit!)

I told him I wont be coming to office tomm cos I am feeling sick. Then shud have seen the look on his face...."oh my god, MY project will get delayed". Well, I told him that I would love to come tomm, but what to do, I am too tired to even raise a finger!


No comments: