Monday, January 05, 2009

Buzzing around Hong Kong - Day 2

I made a promise to enjoy what HK has to offer and forget about SG for the next 4 days, which I rigourously broke first thing today morning. I was surprised when the light shone brightly at 7am and woke me up. My best laid plans for the day were torn to pieces when I wanted to enjoy the foggy morning by lazing around a bit more..

I didnt know where to go for breakfast, so I hopped into McDonalds (Max), before setting out to Ocean Park. A nice theme park with thrill rides, fun activities and even the scenic views when zipping around in roller coasters beats everything else. The queue at the bus stop was a good indication that long waiting times are going to be the order of the day. It was more like 45 mins waiting times broken by short bursts of adrenalin. Space Wheel was a good appetizer. After cooling down with Raging River, it was a cranky mine shaft. Flying Swing was fun, and the giant wheel was a breath of fresh cool air. Somehow, the dragon seems to scare most people, including my wife, and incidentally had the shortest queue. When the stomach grumbled, the only thing veggie was at Max. A slight drizzle and the mist kept things cool the whole day.





Love at first sight does happen sometimes. One look at the Pacific Ocean and I did feel it. I looked at it from different heights, different angles and even in different apparatus, but I just cudnt take my eyes off its serene beauty, punctuated by lush curvy mountains, veiled in a thick mist. Everything was just so perfect about it that even the ships seemed to understand by travelling in a straight line at regular intervals into the harbour. The display of seals and sea lions couldnt get the Pacific off my mind. People seem to be wary of typhoons at one end and hurricanes at the other end, but on a day like this, it seems sinful to even think of this sleeping beauty stirring!



The heavy heart became heavier as we had to give the cable car a miss due to an extra long queue halfway downhill! It looked good from below though. I dont know what the fuss is about the giant panda. Just the name seems to drive people wild here! Needless to say, the jingle bells were ringing the loudest in the panda souvenir shop.



I didnt wanna make Max our life support system here, so we decided to try Chinese veg. The Three virtues veg restraurant in a shopping complex at the junction of Nathan Road and Jordan Road was recommended by the hotel staff and it turned out to be a good pick. But we spent 30 mins trying to locate the place, roaming all around the place. There were other veg restaurants but one look at the menu and people eating inside seemed to scare my wife off. We were staring so intently at one place that a genial waiter became a bouncer. Not knowing where to go, we were stuck at the signal when my ever-so-observant wife spotted the virtues perched on the 4th floor. The ambience was excellent and the food was very good from an Indian-who-has-eaten-Chinese-veg-for-10yrs perspective. My wife desperately needed some chillies to down the white rice, and then desperately needed a lot of water, tissue and ice cream in that order. The mile nausea was a direct result of her deviating from the only chinese dish she has ever had - fried rice - and does not dilute the quality of food there. Must Try!

We rounded off the evening roaming around Nathan Road's trendy malls. I learnt a thing or two about women's shopping trends. Their likes and shopping skills are deeply rooted in their brains which we, mere men, cannot fathom. Blind following and humming your favorite tunes inside, aided by no lip movement and slight nodding of the head helps, provided your credit card is secure in your wallet. Women definitely dont trust men with their shopping, so it helps pushing your wife to buy a costly cloth or show she likes. She wont! Women trust other women, so crumpled clothes lying around are the most deceptive targets. Looking around, I could sense another strange girly phenomenon. When it comes to fashion, looks doesnt matter to them as much as fit! Girls might admire a shoe, but if it doesnt fit EXACTLY, they wont bother a second more. I was perplexed why they never ask the assistant for a size that fits them! Fashion stores is tough business.



Before I chill out, two observations from today.
Me: There is a much more Asian culture visible in HK compared to SG, be it more talking, smiling and grouping or less smoking, kissing and sprinting.
Better Half: The girls here are much more trendy and fashionable. They are 10yrs ahead of SG. I have got to buy these stuff here!

Girls will be, will forever be, girls.

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

No comments: