Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Buzzing around Hong Kong - Day 5

It was the new year, and the last day of this trip. After the late night sojourn yesterday, we decided to cancel the Macau trip for an easier shopping day. By accident, I had forgotten the jacket on what was the sunniest day of this trip, but it sent shivers down my spine, literally, after the first 10 yards. I decided to be brave and bore the brunt of it till bfast.



Once warm inside the jacket, we went after clothes. After a couple of hours trying and complaining, my wife said the grapes are sour, the girls here are too short and too thin. No size seemed to fit an average Indian around here. Next up was shoes. We didnt have luck for the last 2-3 days with finding shoes long enough, but today we spotted a shop. The resultant buy was more of a sigh of relief rather than anything great. I had a feeling that the money is better spent shopping in SG. Then we went hunting for cosmetics and other stuff.

When the hunger came, we were again lost. We had a list of vege and Indian food options, but it took a wise old Indian uncle to understand our situation and point us in the right direction. So, we landed up in Lock Road in search of Branto. We were told it was in 1st floor and there it was, but we didnt know how to reach it! The one place we found a lift was in the middle of a major repair activity and the building looked as if it was marked out for demolition. After some hesitation, we went up to find a small dungy room. On Day 1, I thought it was weird, but by Day 5, this is what we have come to expect of HK "hotels". The interior was markedly better and definitely overcrowded. This restaurant had a healthy mix of south and north indian cuisine, just like its owner who is fluent in Hindi and Tamil. Having had a Gujarathi thali for lunch and idli dosa for dinner, the quality looked pretty good. A thumbs up for this place.

In the evening, we roamed about Nathan Road in Mong Kok and bought by wife a girl's best friend as a New Year's gift. Learnt a lot about 4Cs along the way. Clarity definitely influences the price the most. Having burnt a hole in my pocket and retiring to the hotel, I reflected on this trip. I would definitely remember HK for its natural diversity and as a city of dazzling colorful lights. And as always at the end of a good trip, I leave half heartedly, since there is so much more to see and experience in this city and surrounding areas. I am not a Terminator, but I guess I might just be back here a few years later.



Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

No comments: