Friday, May 27, 2005

Invisible Man

I have been curious about this for a while now..And curiosity kills the saggi. What makes people be in Invisible Mode in yahoo msgr? As a person who is perennially online, I am baffled by the lack of contemplation of this network of youth trying to remain anonymous to friends. The basic purpose of having a messenger is to keep in touch with friends. If the friends keep bugging you, Block and Delete. If you dont want friends to disturb you, Busy. If you are available to chat, Away. Then whats the use of being Invisible? I know guys from India still view internet as a fantasy world after 11pm (when there are no charges). But for the invisible guys and gals in the US and other places, what makes you really become invisible? If people want to contact you, they probably wouldnt as they think you are not available when all you are doing is getting bored on the other side surfing pages and sipping some coffee or beer. If you really only want to keep in touch only with your close friends, why add the rest in your messenger. And a curious comment by one of my invisible friends whom I happened to confront with this kostin recently. All my friends know I am invisible all the time..Then whats the point of being invisible??? It simply beats me in the mid summer's heat. And on hindsight, if people really want to bug u, they would probably bombard you even when u r invisible. And one of the few perennially online with over 150 in my list, I can vouch I dont get too much messages in my messenger in a day. I am online cos it allows my friends to locate me and talk to me whenever they feel like. If I want to talk to them, I do too. Full Stop. Can some invisible person explain their side of the story? Im waiting to hear that.

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

5 comments:

LovingAndLosing said...

OUCH! That hurt. Well, first of all, yes, I am guilty as charged.

I have my reasons though.

1. I really am an MSN girl. I'm always online on MSN. Always.

2. On yahoo, I have family, family friends, friends, family of friends, friends of friends, friends of friends of friends and complete strangers.

3. I have had some horrible despicable things happen to me on yahoo.

4. I can't be rude to people. Or ignore them when they try to talk to me, and I also get tempted into chatting when I probably should be studying.

5. Now that I've been the invisible girl, I can't come into the open. I tried it once, with all sorts of status messages, including "sleeping.. do not disturb". And I still got messages such as "Are you sleeping?", "Are you busy?" "BUZZ! BUZZ! BUZZ!"

6. My laptop is right next to my ear. And I've been woken up a zillion times from my sleep. And this is when I'm invisible!

7. Sometimes if I'm trying to ignore someone, I could delete them. But then, they either know a friend, or a friend's friend on my list and will figure out I've deleted them and that could upset them or make them want to kill me. I value my life!

8. No one on my yahoo list has taken me out to dinner. So it's payback time.

Random Access said...

hmm, a few doubts still remain..

"Are you sleeping?", "Are you busy?" "BUZZ! BUZZ! BUZZ!" - you want to talk to ur friends, thats the basic purpose and ur friends will not disturb u if they think u r busy..And if u r not online, they wud rather think u r busy and try not to disturb u...so izit good or worse?

I do have a lot of people on my list too, as u have mentioned, but not everyone messages and not too many people message at the same time, all the time, so its not a bother.

I have had some horrible despicable things happen to me on yahoo. - no comments, part of life i guess.

I can't be rude to people. Or ignore them when they try to talk to me - that can happen in any case!

My laptop is right next to my ear. And I've been woken up a zillion times from my sleep. And this is when I'm invisible! - u r giving reasons against urself!

No one on my yahoo list has taken me out to dinner. So it's payback time. - how many people in ur msn have? Or izit cos u donno how to be invisible in msn?

Its just not about u, Ms. V. I was kinda puzzled by a lot of people. Thanks for getting out ur point though, now we have atleast some stuff to argue about and make me visible about the travails of the invisible :)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!! (to argue about something after a long long time...yahooooooo )

ranga said...

Do I really need to speak out again.. as u have already quoted, albeit "invisibly"..;) ???

vishy said...

dei Ra matter is simple.. guys like ranga stay invisible so that they can chat uninturrepted with their Gf..

as far me I tried to be visible so tht some gal wld buzz us.. maamu appovum nothing works da.. now I stay invisible so tht I can catch them when they appear online (think tht I am offline) but athuvum work out agala da huh!!!!!!!! enna panalam sollu?

well Miss.V if ur sleeping I think u shld rather log off ur yahoo.. I hope u know that yahoo has this facility of offline messages unlike MSN..

Random Access said...

The matter is simpler da...Being visible is the best thing. If a gal is invisible, shes talkin to her bf or she isnt interested in talkin to u..If shes visible, u msg her. If she isnt bothered, no reply. If she replies...there begins your peanut experiences...

On the other hand, if u r invisible, if the gal is visible, she thinks probably u r not around and will never bother to reply, even if shes interested.

Or better still, choose a nick like mine...damn attractive to gals ;) so tht they will msg u themselves...

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!