Sunday, November 20, 2005

The Death of a Blogger

I was wondering about the analogy of death, in cyberspace. Blogging allows common people to express much more of themselves to a much wider audience (talking generally, I know mine aint worth a count) than any other medium. This means that the blogger is connected to a lot more people virtually. Though some of them take blogging as the starting point of a new relationship and take it to other traditional media like chatting n calling, most of the blogs you visit are the relationship themselves. In this context, how will a real/virtual death of a blogger impact on fellow readers? Will it be devoid of the usual "opparis" and mournings? Will it be like the night sky, where we admire the beauty of countless stars, but couldnt care less when one disappears? Will a blogger's absence be termed temporary, and as time progresses conveniently forgotten? From what I have seen so far, even a 2 week absence from the blogging scene (without prior intimation) of even popular bloggers is critical when it comes to the "popularity" of their blog. The number of comments per post reduces from an average of more than 30 to less than 10. So, it is only logical to presume that any supernova blogger who hasnt been blogging is dying a death of a white dwarf, fading away into insignificance. But what about the readers who really care? The worst fear, they say, is the fear of the unknown. "What happened to those people out there who havent written a line to outline their presence?" is a question that haunts the mind like a black hole. Ofcourse, time erodes the emotions and even the ardent blog-roller will agree that they ignore such dormant blogs during their daily scan. Worse still, what about real death? Will the readers even get to know about it? Relationships are built and broken in the real world. In the blogging scene, it just appears and disappears! Thus, cyberspace is a matter of convenience, even in death!

So for those who havent put up anything of late (esp those in my Probational and Outdated lists), you better say "Present saar", atleast through a proxy :P

(Reminds me of a joke from some "Principal/PT Master": "Those who are absent, please stand up)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Random - Thanks for the blogroll, just saw what you've listed me as :) Flattered and thank you.

Loved the joke, very funny.

Visithra said...

Until uma mentioned it I never noticed how you blogrolled us - lol on mine ;p nice

you make sense lots - ive been wondering about the death part too - given most of us blog without the knowledge of ppl we know -

but I do know I d be devastated - a lot of bloggers fizzle out - once in a while i go check on their blogs wondering when theyd come back

awakeningcoma said...

dai machi too much of peeling vara vara nee romba emotional aavura

museful said...

Loved ur post.....never pictured the whole blogging thing to be like this....a different view of the blogosphere.....OT: Waterfall???

IBH said...

hahaha ! I dont know what to comment here but after reading ur last line i am reminded of my PT saar ;) who said this:

everybody, form a straight circle :) LOL! we were all laughing our gut out....

Deepti Ravi said...

quite true!!! couldn't agree more.. and i should be saying 'present' too ! sporadic blogging does result in near death!!!!

Random Access said...

The lack of comment on my own blog shud say how verily vetti I am :P Anywayz,

Smyta, I think a lot remains, but what use is a memorial if you dont know if a person perished or not? (eg: SCB)

WA, You have caught me unawares before I could jot down a few words of introduction :P Hope u find it cosy sitting on the right hand side :)

Visithra, "you make sense" - neenavadhu sonniye, thangu thangu! idhukkagave unnoda malay tamil a naan kindal adikka maaten nu solla maaten :P Whats more fun than making fun of others?

Coma, yeah da, real sickness combined with homesickness machi!

Sharana, whenever u comment itself is a honour for me :) Btw, I think I gave esplanation for waterfall when I did ur intro (quite a while back) and since I am too lazy, you check it out if interested :) - Remember how I was surprised when I saw ur post titled Waterfall? now u know why ;)

IBH, chumma laam comment panna vendaam (this is becoming like a contact disease - onnume thonattalum having the compulsion to comment) - maybe inspiration for someone else's post, if not mine!

Dip Tea, enga ma ore the escape aayitteenga? Gud to c u here (Neenavadhu last line uttutu last but one line padichiye thangu)

Btw, I had a very special visitor yday to my blog (honoured, overwhelmed, ecstatic etc etc), but the only thing the person commented was that I have too many gals who comment on my blog and hardly any guys :P (ratio in this post 6:2 so far). So I think probably i shud start commenting more in my own blog to get the ratio up :P

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

Whoosh 2 said...

Totally agreed.. very well said RA.. Hoping to meet u this weekend.. Lets see how things work out!

--Whoosh