Friday, November 11, 2005

A Letter

Dear nephew,

At the onset, let me wish you a very happy 7th birthday (end of 6 yrs). Rushing onto this world before the start of the controversial millenium (people were so impatient they made 2000 as the start of the millenium when 2001 is the rightful one as there was no 0 AD) It was a pleasure watching you come into this world, and was the first to see you once the doctors performed the initial "rites". You were pinkish, dark but you were intently watching me with ur wide open eyes. Ofcourse, you were as fair as you are after the initial few days. That was the last I would get to see you for the next 10 days as you were born with the umbilical cord twice round your neck and somehow that was linked to your dear uncle. It was agony rushing from abroad to the hospital only to enquire from hapless visitors about your well being and activities. Finally when I got to see you and name you (I was the one who decided your name from the two choices presented to me by your parents), I was really happily to spend the next couple of months by your side watching you cry and grasp your environment through your eyes. The next time I saw you, you were crawling to me, instantly recognising me. That was the best prize I could have got. You were the main reason I made it a point to be with you for 2 months after every 4 months, showering you with gifts and toys. The next visit proved exciting as after your parents struggling to make you walk, I succeeded :) I still remember vividly the first steps you took in Oppiliappan Koil to the excited cries of all relatives. I knew you were a good learner and within a couple of months, I made you play your first computer game :P At 1 yr 1 month, it was what I would call relatives' envy, my pride. Ofcourse, rest as they is history and the next time probably I shud work hard to beat you at any game :)

Two years down the road, when you stepped into my old school to continue to the legacy, I was surprised to see the mirror image of my old self, so excited about being in school, and even more surprised by sitting in front of the driver in the van (it was bus in my case) watching him drive. You even went one step ahead by refusing to come home with me and insisting on travelling by the van :P I used to love being with you and you were smart to take advantage of that, calling me "mama" if and when you wanted to get some things done. Just like your mom! Even otherwise, I would have done it for you my sweetheart :) I enjoyed teaching you all the tricks and "veshamams" even though I got blasted from alll quarters for that. I realised you are a quick good learner and I wanted to make use of it. Thats why when your thatha used to shout at you for putting your hand near the plug, I taught you how to switch it on and off properly. To become a computer buff in 5 yrs and teaching your grandparents how to do things is making your proud uncle ecstatic!

School life did soften your edges and made you very disciplined, even though you were every teacher's agony as you only talk to those people you like. They are still struggling to elicit an answer from you, even though you know everything and your amma tells me shes heard it herself. However, time should amend you further and education is all about learning, one aspect and then another. So I am not too bothered.

A year and a half back, when you got a baby brother (I always wanted a younger sibling but never managed to get), you were on top of the world, only to realise later that there is someone else vying for your parents' love. Ofcourse your parents made sure you did not feel disadvantaged and frequently praised you while admonishing your brother in front of you as a consolation. The fact that he was too young to understand those words did not deter you from beaming like only a jealous young kid can :) Ofcourse, that soon paved way for possessiveness of your bro and rubbing off some of your moodiness onto him as well.

I have never been with your younger bro that much as I have got a bit tied down with my working life, but he is proving too hot to handle for anyone. He wants to do things I cant imagine (cutting his ears inbetween the steel racks, pushing the tv onto his legs) and showcasing his boisterous nature. It is upto you now, as a bro, to shape your brother into a smart bright kid like you, as you are the only person he wants to emulate now. So mentor him and make him shine like you :)

I am feeling quite down now as I am not with you today, and wouldnt be able to see you next as soon as I had planned earlier, but my heart always goes out to you and always brings a smile thinking of you. Missing you my dear nephew! Take care. Hope this new year of your life brings you much more accolades and happiness. May God bless you my lad :)

Yours lovingly,
Dilip.

11 comments:

Bharath Sattanathan said...

i presume ur vettu name is Dilip! nyways wish ur nephew on my behalf 2 machi!

Get sambharred!!!
Filtered by sambhar....

Anjali said...

happy b'thday nephew dear!dont be wicked and naughty like ur uncle:)

Random Access said...

wicked and naughty???
I think u commented in the wrong blog Ms. A ;)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

awakeningcoma said...

letter padchi machi peel aittaen, too mucha neneja nakkita. pesama mega serial eluthu

JB said...

very good one :-)
sama feelings !

Random Access said...

machis, inspired by something da.. I think RK Narayan or Ruskin Bond.. Chumma show kaatinen da ;)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

Visithra said...

awww this was so sweet - finally read it - oreh busy pa ;)

so this the kid who rules u huh?

kid perh sohlama thapika pahkuringehla?

Random Access said...

Visithra, thangu thangu...

Yeah, he rules my thots, but there is another one ruling my heart ;)

Peru Pratul :)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

cutefreaky said...

wish pratul on my behalf too :-)

he surely must be having a gr8 day with his uncle busy vetti writing a blog for him ...lol

tata
sukku

vishy said...

hi da.. very well written.. nice way of wishing ur nephew.. and u have good some cool thoughts on wht to blog about..

Random Access said...

Sukku, avan idhellam padichu enna kaari thuppardhukku badile this is fine ;)

Vishy, ennathada cool thots? Neenum vetti a irundhu paaru, all thots and no action makes RA a blog-boy :P

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!