Sunday, January 29, 2006

All about aussies

Been a while, but the pause had nothing to do with me being jobless :P Its more to do with my inherent laziness.

Yeah, the title...No no, its not about Camille in the Australian Open, even though she was definitely worth the camera time she got in the finals! I did follow a few matches in the Aus Open (after a long long time), and there were indeed a few stunning moments, capped by the brilliant rally during the Men's doubles finals. The take by Paes.. kinda made me forgive the atrocious almost comic facial expressions he showcased, in the pretext of passion. I was happy to see Hingis back, being one of the last classic champions! One look at Mauresmo, Williams and Davenport and u will understand what I mean! That she was lookin even more gracious was juz a plus! Federer's whine at the end of adding his 7th crown, which sadly I saw only in one of the replays, added a melodramatic touch.

Last week was quite hectic and it flew off like anything. I did have a surprise visit from my cousin from Sydney (athai ponnu). I dont think many people will be blessed with 7 athai ponnu and 2 mama ponnu, but alas fate intervened with their average age being 45 :P Only one of them is younger to me (way too young). Before I do another Federer, let me get back to topic. This cousin came along with her 11 yr old gal, who showcased so much of an aussie attitude that I was stunned beyond belief. She was way too self obsessed, shopaholic (not for toys or barbies), care-a-damn attitude, way too sensitive, suspicious rather than courtious, "i know everything i dun need u to tell me", artificial wide grin to a camera, too much fuss, and so on.

Dealing with 11 yr old Indian kids is totally different from dealing with 11 yr old Aus kids, and I got to realise it quite soon. I gave her a chocolate and her mom asked her to give me a piece. And when she refused I juz put on my most innocent face and asked her, "Thaa please". "You dont have to beg me like this, dont you have any shame" greeted me. A slap in the face would have been better and less shocking. I tried to reason it out. I realised the nonchalant attitude of the parents towards the child's reactions and the audacious comments being met with laughter might have something to do with it.

Children are capable of stunning you with umpteen questions and put u in embarassing situations, but the sweetness and innocence comes through. Not shock and bewilderment. I have been around with quite a few kids, but this one was quite a jolt. Children dont know the right and wrong and parents are responsible of showing them the right direction and the wrong things should be immediately stymied (by a glare, a raised voice, a caution or an advice). Giving them a free hand in everything may not be the best way.

Finally, a future aussie Filter is in town and gotta take him around. One adv of being jobless I guess :P That Visithra cudnt make it here is a bit sad and a bit fortituous, as I can roam about without worrying about bashings from behind :P

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

3 comments:

vishy said...

hmm well these aussies them selves are heavy headed if I am right.. may be ur cousin wouldnt survie there if she doesnt have that attitude da..

btwn.. r u goin to get to meet the president??

awakeningcoma said...

A typical Aussie Attitude

Anonymous said...

Have you taken the right vitamin lately? Is your body answering that question right now? Shocking truth about why this whole food vitamin has set a new standard! This can improve your quality of life.