Monday, March 13, 2006

Shame on us!

I have always been a proud Indian. And I have always respected women and gals for what they are. A lot of my guy friends think of me as an online casanova, but I guess only those gals who I have interacted with, who can give the right answer. Anywayz, coming to the point, I have been totally disgusted and depressed the last week or so, when I have come across a series of posts like this and this triggered by the Blank Noise Project. Trust me, I have never been as ashamed of my country and fellow brothers like what I did recently. I wudnt like to bypass the serious issue by saying I am the goody goody guy and others are to blame. I believe responsibility lies with all of us, even though only a sparse few might be causing these disgusting acts. I wud have been even ashamed to bring up these posts to public, but this attitude, I realised through those authors, is what has been preventing the scale of this social evil to seem lesser than what it actually is. And looking at the alarming rate at which I hear girls say "yes" to the simple question posed (and I havent heard one "no" till now) is making me freak out. Worse still, its almost always followed by the casual after-comment "Its so common, why are u making a fuss out of it now". This nonchalant reply completely bewilders me and sends a chill down my spine, thinking of gals, young and old, prone to the vested interests of, shame on us, men. I dont believe in reporting things and keeping quiet. The next time I see any person doing such "roadside romeo" tactics (pi, if u ever read this, doesnt refer to u da), I am gonna take it up personally, irrespective of the consequences. After all, India is a land where a woman is treated more than God! And I will do my best to make it stay that way. And those guys whom I know who are already on the wrong side of things, better beware. I cant take an insult on my motherland, and every woman who makes up my motherland, so better think twice before crossing the line with a gal!

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks RAN.

Vinesh said...

yup, im gonna remain silent here because i have no gameplan to combat this. also i don't know what to say about "each of us is to blame".

I have mother, sisters and friends. Any one who has them and a conscience will certainly not do stuff to harm another girl.

Visithra said...

if only all men thought this way - women dont hate all men coz of the few gems we have as friends and family

Random Access said...

WA, I shud thank you for giving me an insight into the depth of the issue..

Vinesh, aint u a bit ideal there? Given the population of our country and the birth rate.. and the ratio of gals:boys born, I would assume its quite less of a number of guys without sisters. And almost everybody will have a mother. Given the proportion of the unlucky few without both, having no conscious is even less. So, yes I believe even the guy next to us is potently a molester. So everyone of us is to blame, cos it might be that some of our own buddies who are the culprits!

Guys do it all the time.. At 0+, they call it innocence, as 10+ they call it flirting, as 20+ they call it fun, as 30+, they call it submission, at 40+ they call it luck, even 60+ oldies call it "god's will". In my view, its just exploitation and we shudnt allow this humiliation to happen to any gal, if we want our future generation gals not to go thru this.. cos like I have just came to realise, the present generation gals seem to have already gone thru that :(

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

Anonymous said...

Hi rara,
Been reading your blogs. Nice work man.
Keep them coming.
Here's one more fan :)

museful said...

When we talk about rights and equality and all sorts of idyllic principles....the cold hard fact is there is a wide disparity in the way ppl behave and treat women. Tolerance can only lasts till the patience weans. Ppl losing their lives over this hateful act is tragic.....sometimes you need enlightenment to wake up from the slumber and face these realities. Empowerment begins at the core of facing these hardships. Only time will tell if theres a hope in hell for this to change.

vishy said...

Ippadi patta pasangala ellam enna ketta nadu theru la niruthi 'Castrate' pannidanum.

On a funnier note:

Girl to a guy who misbehaved with her: Dei, unakku ellam akka, thanga illa.

Guy: En athukulla nathanaar aah pakkanum nu aasai aah.

I said...

so where does the motherland figure here?

Random Access said...

ram, thanks da... i wud say its a sweet surprise to find u in here :)

sharana, correctly said.. but i wud like to me optimistic n proactive... lets hope for the best...

vishy we r in pickup drop escape kaalam da, its an old joke i guess :P

sundi, thanks for the 'compliments' ;) but the prob is much worse than u can ever imagine da!

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!