Sunday, March 19, 2006

The Million Dollar Question

Seems like everyone has this kostin nowadays.. "The search has just begun!!!" - What is that mean. I would forgive people for thinking its about a gal at first, but even people close to me sometimes wonder.. Whats in a name? But I have a story to tell... so listen mite (yeah yeah, i love everything aussie after their defeat.. so cool!)

It all started when I landed in this country. How am I to know that my initials stands as a source for giggles here? So, during the orientation (aka ragging), I was christined RA. That nick, 7 yrs down the line, still is recognised in my university campus, which is quite a surprise in itself. Anywayz, it all started when I got my computer barely into the new millenium. My friend kindly 'volunteered' to fix my comp up for a humble token of a cigarette pack and a night of watching 'popular' movies on my flat screen monitor. When he was setting it up (and I knew nuts abt computers back then), he asked me to give a name for the computer. My instinct told me RA, but my creativity wanted to expand it. Expand, I did.. Thus it became Random Access. And ofcourse, it needed a computer description. I thot for a second to get a phrase with a bit of correlation. There it was.. "The search has just begun !!!". Whatever made me write those 2 things at the dead of the night made a lot of sense later on...

Random Access became hugely popular. It became the pen-name for my poetry as well. It gel-ed in nicely with the kind of carefree attitude that I seemed to possess. It became synonymous with my supposedly random poetry. It became the lifeline of the indian forum that we had. It became a source of inspiration. It became the talk of the university. But more was to come. I got to know about chatting and went into ICQ. There was only 4 Random Access at that time, but thanks to ICQ for giving a number than an unique id, I was able to keep my favorite. This nick alone was so popular among gals (I wonder why!) that a lot of gals added me into their lists. A lot of people were jealous of the fact, and some named me "ladies' man" just like Ms. V's latest nick for me :) I never imagined the nick was so powerful! Needless to say, its been with me for the last 7 yrs and I have kinda grown fond of it. It kinda gave me an identity that people were able to map to. As recently as today, I got a comment saying it ties in well to my memory prowess (or the lack of it).

The second part of my online signature ("The search has just begun") was just instinctive, but something I have grown to love and respect. This talks a lot abt me and the way I am too. I, like a true saggi, is driven my curiosity to wander out there in search of knowledge. Many times I have been stumped by the fact that there are so many things out there in this world to be learnt that 24 hrs aint enuf in a day. And there is just no limit to the depth of knowledge that you can acquire. This kinda explains the fact that I am probably a jack of all trades, but the master of none. I also realised that its the fact of life, that there is always a search.. both inside and outside of us, that keeps us going.. in pursuit of the unknown. This has really made my signature meaningful, so I decided to stick on. To add spice, I sometimes tie down my sign to the context (esp in my poems, if u have noticed). And contrary to expectations, the search never ends, as the end of one quest is merely a beginning of another!

So there u go.. now gimme those million dollars ;)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

16 comments:

Bharath Sattanathan said...

sir, namaskaram :)) :P

filtered by sambhar....
(idhukku explaination kekade)

KC! said...

oho, idhan matter-a! BTW, adhu mite illa, mate..thats how they say in Australia.

Random Access said...

Usha, I know mate, but aussies make it sound like 'mite' and u shud know better ;)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

Anonymous said...

I find ur blogs engrossing because they are remarkably stupid. Particularly when u say u can't take an insult to ur motherland. Boy! you nationalistic Indians make me laugh.

LovingAndLosing said...

Gosh, these anonymous cowards. What would the blog world do without them???

Anyway, RA, thanks for clearing up the entire world's questions about your nick!!!

Anonymous said...

An etymology to a name and an explanation to the tag line eh? Nice one pal :)

Deepti Ravi said...

Yeppo laendhae search has jus' begun sollinirukkiya??? So wats the progress status like ;) Sorry for the terrible mokkai!!!!

IBH said...

no wonder i named u the 'google guy' in my blog :)

Jagan said...

"the search has just begun" sounds really gud ....eppadi ellam panna figures kedaikuma da ?

PreethZzZ The Original said...

paaa...enna oru kadhai... che engaiyo poyutta! supperrruu...and cant agree more wit the search having just begun... r all saggis jack of all trades and master of none? hmmm all sounds too familiar! ;)

nandini said...

Ah... and there, finally is the story behind the name. Nice one!

Vinesh said...

"Thedal vaazhvil uLLavarai
Vaazhvil rusi irukkum.."

vishy said...

Everybody is in search of something or the other. And this search is a constant aspect of life. But then search is fine only as long as you do not lose yourself in this search for something.

Ramya Shankar said...

End of a New Beginning! :o)

Rambler registries said...

yup the search has just begun, that was what caught my attention when you commented on my blog. how was ur india trip? i know u were back long time..but i have been busy lately. now things are good, gotta job too and its nice.

Anonymous said...

have seen couple of ur posts in other blogs dont know why, I am reminded of "THE MATRIX" every time I read ur tag line.

---
hurry.