Thursday, July 28, 2005

Training Blues

The view showcased here made me want to comment on it first, but being a teacher myself, though not in India, wanted to write a bit myself, giving my own perspective on what it is to be on the other side of the class.

The general idea of teachers are that either they are lousy or they juz wanna make money through private tuitions. Yes, people are like that, but those people are not there by merit. They just see it as a career opportunity. The real teacher is someone who comes into this field not out of what he wants to be but out of the compulsion that he wants to make a difference to others. Its not a teaching profession, its a teaching service. As Abdul Kalam and our Captain says, the youth is the most powerful and they are the most potent weapon to shape the future.

There are some exceptions, but you cant make the mistake of taking the exceptions as examples. Ofcourse, while in school, I did perceive the younger batch of teachers as crap, but its the same set who have gained experience and gained the respect of the new generation, the last time I interacted with a bunch of guys from my school. Its like the seasons, students come and go, but teachers stick..not just to their service, but to every student's hearts. Cos unknowingly, understatedly, for 15 long years, they really shape the young mind and give it all the stuff it requires to survive in this world. Without teachers we are not what we are now. Just to prove my point: How many faces (as they were then) do u recollect of your batchmates, say in 2nd Grade. How many faces of teachers (may not be their names) do u recollect of your teachers in the 2nd Grade. I guess atleast one.

Personally, I am a professional (in a profession where everyone is infamously stereotyped as a software engg), but I recently about a couple of years back discovered the other side of me, the one which wanted to help others, the one which realised the joy of rendering service (not just through windows and web services), the one which wanted to be a teacher. I have been doing my bit here and there, but getting to teach young people from 5th grade onwards to old seasoned professionals who have been through a lot more than what I have, I could see how an enthusiastic teacher can really make a difference to how a student progresses. Not to boast about myself, I could see kids listening to their walkman idling with their cellphone games at the start, asking questions (which is something that really really makes a teacher happy) and exceeding my own (very high) expectations. Then I realised a truth that the ultimate joy for every teacher is when they see their students be better than themselves. Cos that means they have done justice to what they are supposed to do.

And the other aspect of teaching is that the capabilities and background of the students may differ wildly, but a teacher strives to make everyone better, not relative to one another (which is stressed by other professions) but better than what he/she was before. Professions give you challenges and excitement, but services like teaching give you joy and contentment. Moreover, even teachers learn..from their students, from the varied experiences through interaction, cos each batch is different. For a teacher, each pupil is different and special, which is something your employers dont want, they only want the best. Teachers aim to make everyone the best.

Right now, I think I have found a very good balance between my profession, my teaching and my learning. So much that I make it a requirement that my employer allows me to continue teaching, during the interview. And believe me, I have rejected a few MNCs cos they did not meet this particular requirement. I have to work at my limits or beyond to multi task like this, but the stuff I mentioned before, abstract terms like joy and contentment, really makes you go that extra step, makes even the burden seem enjoyable. Its not easy being a teacher, not everyone can, but once u r a teacher, you never want to give it up for anything else!

Btw, why this title? Juz came into my head. Doesnt really make sense, cos its all been the case of "The grass is always green on the teaching side". Any questions?

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

16 comments:

TJ said...

Hats off to you..!!
Everybody has this desire to do some teaching or like, which provides immense satisfaction, but a very less percentage of them take to doing as u did.!!

Random Access said...

I reiterate that I am juz one of the examples. I guess if you really look around, you will find many more like me, though a 2 yr exprienced teacher who is 23 yrs old, I aint too sure :)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

krishna said...

thats y a self-less teacher is often equated to the supreme itself as per the popular shloka

"guru brhama gurur vishnu
gurur devo maheshwara:
gurur saakshaath parabrahma
tasmai shree gurave nama:"

makes perfect sense

ioiio said...

I reiterate that I am juz one of the examples. I guess if you really look around, you will find many more like me

Many more makes it sound a lot.. In a broader spectrum.. To be honest there are only a very few

Random Access said...

Then you are not looking hard enuf, ioiio..sometimes, on the surface, it looks like its a crusading of sand dunes in the barren landscape n nothin more, unless u switch on Discovery to get amazed by whts under the desert!

Btw, sometimes i wonder if u r 22 (10110).

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

Random Access said...

Thanks for dropping by krishna, the slokas make perfect sense too, once u stop to analyse the content and the intent.

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

Paavai said...

I cannot agree more with you, hence my comment in TJs blog that it is true of all professions, Good and bad exists everywhere. I personally owe a lot to my teachers, starting from school who would haul me up for not helping my mom with domestic chores (this might be unbelievable) - trust me that was the level of their involvement for their "children". They cared for us in every sense of the word. My college and University professors have gone beyond their boundaries, to help me sail through difficult situations both financially and academically.

A lot also depends on parents who view teachers as these money making machines and pass these views on to their offspring. These kids view teachers as more as hindrance than as supporting mechanisms - phew - sorry about this long comment...

Random Access said...

Thanks for your comment Paavai, I think you made a very valid point in that the parents also play a very vital role in how the children perceive school and teachers. But whether they want it or not, the young minds so get shaped by the environment.

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

LovingAndLosing said...

To be honest, I've always had great respect for all my teachers. In fact, I had some really awesome ones, not just in the vast knowledge they had, but as the amazing people they were. In fact, I'm still in touch with many of them today, including my first grade teachers. I have always been the one my friends have come to, when they've wanted a concept or something explained. I think I make a good teacher. But haven't exactly thought about it as a profession yet. I can see how you'd make a great teacher though :) For one, you'd never be at a lack of praise for your students! And who doesn't love teachers like that.

Random Access said...

haha, i am a very critical person, if I like someone or something, I make it known, if i dont like someone or something, I make it known as well...and when I am angry or furious, I remain silent. You have been fortunate to be the recipient of only my positive remarks so far, Ms. V, but dont underestimate ;)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

Anjali said...

wow!yenna ottrumai.U wrote on training blues and I wrote on morning blues.Yes teaching and teachers I adore both.

nandini said...

That's absolutely true...there is probably no profession as rewarding as teaching...and good teacher can be really inspirational...the pity of it is out of a class of 30 only 3 may come back to see their old teachers...most people seem to be happy to forget...rather than acknoledge the great contribution that their teachers have made in shaping their personalities.

Random Access said...

3 might come back, but I dont think the rest 27 do forget. Everyone of them wud have some memories of their teachers, good or bad, but it lingers on. I guess the teachers are so noble that they would appreciate n thank the 3, but will never regret or curse the rest! "Give unto others expecting no returns" suit them perfectly.

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

vishy said...

hmm Rara.. nice post... well so whts happened to u.. ur blogging frequency seems to have gone down a bit...

Random Access said...

Machan,

I have slept for 2 days in the last fortnight. I guess that answers ur point. Its not a case of no time, I did have plenty of time in front of the comp, but juz tht i wasnt able to think..and now tht i do have some time (after tonite), u can expect something pretty shortly.

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

Rambler registries said...

hey i finally got to read the blog. yeah u r right...i do remember all my teachers...the profession does command respect...though i mite not have been a very good student...i still do respect my teachers...they are the ones who mould to what u r today..even though u mite not accept it. I still rem how i was fascinated with my 1st grade teacher since she used to speak in english so fluently...i wanted to b like her...and well that started it...teachers are ur inspiration!