Thursday, June 02, 2005

Simple Pleasures of Life

What exactly is pleasure? Nowadays, if you think of pleasure, mostly your thoughts gets irrevocably wound up about the richest billion-dollar industry deriving its wealth from showcasing one of the simple pleasures of life available day and night to everyone, rich or poor, man or woman, human or animal...I guess u know what...

Anywayz, let me get to the crux of my post. I found a fitting example in "Vellai Pookal" from Kannathil Muthamittal carrying beautiful verses about the simple pleasures strewn all over this world, yet men and women so careless, carefree and categorically too busy to stop over and have a look at those.

Mann mel manjal velicham vizhugave
Manathe sombal murithu ezhugave
Kuzhandai vizhikkattume thaayin katha kathappil
Ulagam vidiyattume pillaiyin siru muthal sirippil

[Translation]
Let the sun's rays grace this earth
All the freshness in this world, let your heart unearth
Let the child wake up engulfed in the mother's warmth - and whats more a spectacle
Than letting the day break with the child's gentle crackle

That aint probably doing justice to the depth of the meaning conveyed by those words. I was guilty of letting a lot of things pass by unnoticed as well, until I became jobless and had the "time" to look at these things. But once I did look at them, I just couldnt look back. I am just so happy at being jobless, cos its making me realise things that I wouldnt really thought or cared about otherwise. Such is the beauty and diversity of the things in this world that it makes me proud of our existence. What havent we? From the Flowers to Children to Love to God to the Universe to the Person next to you, everything is so beautiful and is present for a purpose - the sole purpose of making your life worthwhile. After all, a life is a life whether in Earth or Mars. Earth just has so much more to live for. And the next time you crib about all the things u dont have or how someone makes your life miserable, just try to list out the things u do have and the joy u have experienced so far. Bet u cant finish the list. Memories are cherished cos they were ignored or taken for granted when they were "Alive". Learn to live in the present. Then life will become much more pleasurable. Infact every single thing is there for a purpose, if only u really looked at it. If you think its philosophy, thanks! Cos I believe Philosophy is so damn practical..just that people dont see it clearly.

I have always believed that Beauty lies in Simplicity. You will be surprised that the most pleasurable things in this world are very simple in nature..so simple that its very easy to not realise it.

What exactly is a simple pleasure? For the uninitiated, your parents' love, your blessed life so far, your skooling which is provoking all the thots in u now, your neighbourhood which gave u experiences that have shaped u as u r, ur work that has given u ur expertise and varied skills, drenching a parched throat with water, a drizzle in the mid summer, someone wishing u a happy birthday, a hot bath after a tiring day. For a few souls like me, poetry...even the food u eat is a simple pleasure. And these are just a very few of the innumerable pleasures out there. What I feel is the best of the lot, is what was mentioned in the verse above, just an innocent gentle smile, that u smile from time to time...Nothing can beat that. So keep smiling and derive unlimited pleasure. And pleasure leads to happiness. And contentment...and hunger for seeking more pleasure..No wonder they say a smile leads to another smile. So there goes a pleasure reaction. Enjoy it while u can :)

And thanks every one of u, including Ms. V and StarGazer, for giving me a few more pleasures in life worth living for!

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

6 comments:

LovingAndLosing said...

You're post reminded me of an English essay I wrote. Check my blog for it.

It's a pleasure to be able to put a smile on your face, someone who definitely knows its worth :) I shall keep trying.

Balakumar said...

Well written RA. And I love that song too! Simple and elegant with incredible depth!

I have always lived on the lines of one of my most fav poems "Vagabond" (R.L.Stevenson):

Give to me the life I love,
Let the lave go by me,
Give the jolly heaven above
And the byway nigh me.
Bed in the bush with stars to see,
Bread I dip in the river -
There's the life for a man like me,
There's the life for ever.

Random Access said...

Ms. V, I would be glad if u cud post the link of tht essay. You know how lazy I am :P Actually, I did give it a try, but failed to locate it.

And bala, the poem is quite nice. Is that the same guy who rote "Treasure Island" ?

Thanks for the compliments - yet another simple pleasure in life :)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

Balakumar said...

Same guy RA. We had the poem in school.

Anjali said...

i love that song simple yet maningful and beautiful.Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Random Access said...

Whoever said music is universal and transcends boundaries, hats off to u!

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!