Thursday, October 13, 2005

Ordinary Person

Claimer: This topic has irked me for quite a while, and finally I find soemtime to pen it down. Since its not too hot in my mind right now (cos of other things "bug"ging me, it might be a bit mellowed down...

Who are these "ordinary people". Are ordinary people not attractive? I have talked to quite a few people(guys n gals) in my life, and everyone has at some point talked about how much they adore/want/need a stylish smart (lookin) handsome guy/gal. I am in no way blaming them. They have eyes and they have to make good use of it. But what is sad is that during the process of admiring the guys/gals with those characteristics, the other people (refer title) are left to brood over their luckless existence and worse still, made a mockery of. For example, girls tend to admire the "style" in which one guy smokes or the way in which his muscles bulges out almost breaking their heart, or how they wud give everything juz to be next to a Mr. World. And before the gals start branding me as MCP, I think I shud clarify that the guys are none the better. They wud rather brood over a once upon Ms. World turned aunty turning into kezhavi, than a quiet girl next door. Its just that I am taking the example of girls cos as a guy, I am more interested and concerned about them. Else the whole topic will never end. But exactly the same, if not more, applies to the guys.

I know of how many girls who brand smoking, drinking etc etc may be "not all that bad", and they might have the hots for such a guy, but why shud a teetottler be mocked at, just because he doesnt do "not all that bad" stuff. Its bad enuf justifying bad as good, but its worse condemning good as bad. They say love comes from the heart, and should not be corrupted by the physical appearance etc etc, so why do you still want the people whom you love/want to love to be "tall", "smart", "handsome", "sexy" as the first criteria, and not satisfied if a person whom you love doesnt possess those characteristics? I feel people in general these days are very biased towards the material attributes (wealth, power, status, popularity or body) rather than things related to dharma and artha, typically branded as "good-to-have but ignorable things" (health, love, passion, morals, values) during the formative years of the relationship. Some words like love, beauty has been corrupted by society to such an extent that you dare not even say these words aloud, lest you get "branded". Thats why you can see a lot more utterances of "he's so hot", "he's damn cool" rather than "he's good", "he's nice".

I saw 5 girls in McDonalds today. School kids. All 5 were smoking. I know a bit of face reading, but even otherwise, you cud see the attitude in their eyes. I dare not mention what was written on their t-shirts, not to mention its size and orientation showcasing their "beauty". Its sad to see gals in silver screens appearing in next to nothing showcasing their "dare devil" attitudes. I wonder how much the parents shudder if their kids wanna go for a movie these days. Is this how they shud portray their "i-dont-give-a-damn" attitude in a country which proclaims that you should be "humble" and learn to "respect" and behave in a "responsible respectable" manner?

All I can do is pray. Not to mention the consoling fact that there are very nice "ordinary gals" out there. Hopefully much more than what I know. Now for the consolation prize...Ordinary gals and guys suddenly turn into "hot" property when it comes to marriage. Suddenly the entire spectrum seems to be "adakkam, odukkam, panivu" and hitherto unknown unproclaimed uninterested skills like cooking, housekeeping, respect comes to the fore. But imagine what a girl wud think of a guy who comes in a pyjama, dhoti and smeared with viboodhi or namam? "Nyana pazham" or the like. Isnt that cruel? Being nice is not so "niceeee". Being sweet is not "chooo chweeeet". But my kostin is simple. You dont have to scream that its positive. But why shud that be treated in a negative way?

Im an ordinary man. Im proud of the fact. Im not hep. I dont drink. I dont smoke (though a chance mention of a beedi got me a nick). I dont have adulterous relationships. I still rue that I am not wearing a namam everyday. I dont visit gyms, pubs, discos. I recite slokas and gayathri (+J) japam. I squirm in my seat if there are any mushy sceens on the screen. I am interested in astrology, palmistry, numerology and vedas. I am not outdated. I am not a sage. Im blessed with what I have. I dont feel bad about what I dont have. I am satisfied. I am not contended. I have the fire. I dont show it. I am not plain. Im just plain different. And I feel so are all the "ordinary people" out there...

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

14 comments:

Dinesh said...

Nicely written. However, I think 'girl always looking for a handsome hunk or a guy falling for a hot girl more often than not' is all purely biological and hardly ever personal.

You can't real blame an individual for that!

awakeningcoma said...

i understand ur peeling, mes 2 an ordinary person

Zeppelin said...

nice post dude!

me too TOTTTTTALLLYY ordinary... :)


i wrote a similar post...check it out if you get the time...
What's Cool !

Neha said...

I know how u feel. :) Though i dont know cooking :D nor do i go to the discos (maybe thats lack of oppurtunity ;) ) OK Jokes apart... I totally agree with u!!! I am neither hot nor cool but jus happy the way I am. But then I do like hot guys but thats jus for drooling and I guess for LOOKING(read sighting) looks are the only thing that matter :). What matters if I don look good so long as I know am not "inviting" cancer? :). All u "ordinary people" out there there are gals who like JUST THAT. neva eva eva lose hope. :)
PS sorry about the mini blog comment :D

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

hahaha boss.. oru heated discussion panra saakula nice ah autobiography eduthu vidareengalae

>>Im an ordinary man. Im proud of the fact. Im not hep. I dont drink. I dont smoke (though a chance mention of a beedi got me a nick). I dont have adulterous relationships.

so according to you..neenga ippa oru hot property ah ? ;)

visit http://rsubras.blogspot.com

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

btw........

neenga sonna athanaikkum ahem..... naanum oru very very ordinary person....

museful said...

personally ordinary ppl are always the darkhorses that surprise everyone...it has its benefits....theres something great abt being ordinary .....since i belong to the same ordinary gang...as for girls not all of them go for the hunk next door...sometimes a little simplicity and the boy next door does the trick to be appealing...always exceptions exist....its just part of the whole deal of putting up with it...nice to meet another ordinary guy.....good read!!!!...ok done ranting!!!

Ranj said...

Nice post! It's got to do with the fact that "Security" about the self - emotional, psychological, social; is fading as the generations go by. So it is a psychological deficiency. While one cannot generalise, people do stagger, but in the end things will shift to normalcy is my belief and personal experience as well.

It's all about Eugenics, isn't it? So what matters to a person - varies. There is nothing wrong with ordinary, nothing great in extraordinary either and vice versa. So let us all just learn to cherish who we are and life! ;) (sorry for a mini blog comment too)

cutefreaky said...

nee ennavo ippodaikku aaal thedalai.. appuram edukku indha post??? ( enna aachu ivanukku...velai pathi kavala padaaama ... idhu theviaya???)

newayz....it is not about being ordinary or extra-ordinary...but...well the youthful age demands you to look for a "good" looking person.. but eventually they will get over it.. and start looking for something else in a person apart from looks....

"J"apam panrenu enakku theriyum.... appuram edukku indha "munumunuppu" blog post?? "saniyan" padikkava??? avanum "j"apam panna thaan try panraaan....SABASH sariyana potti..
lol
tata
sukku

Random Access said...

Thangu for the comments ppl...I think i juz wanted to make a point, and does not mean this reflects my current situation sukku :)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

Jagan said...

i wanted to comment/ask that is this post a desperate attempt to get some girl in singapore ..but looks like sukku has said something to tht effect :-)

Unknown said...

Mannn..give me a high five!I totally agree with whatever u say...people are so damn materialistically biased nowadays, and live such superficial lives!

nandini said...

I think that while hirsl may like looking at the guy with the bulging muscles and guys look at pretty girls... when it comes to lifetime commitments they're all looking for someone to bring home to their parents... on the other hand this could be a sort of double standard...

Eclectic Blogger said...

Well written.. especially the last part abt the "consolation prize"!