Saturday, September 25, 2004

Std 1

Std 1: I had become a bully of sorts by then. Used to have paper fights with the 'rogue of the class' and so became quite famous among the quiet and soft guys. I remember that I took part in a dance competition as krishna, with one girl as radha. I forgot her name, but I clearly remember the torture I had to go through that day. I was painted from head to toe with blue paint, given one flute only at the last minute and I was sweating cos of all that. Anywayz, I somehow got to dance and we ended up with some prize, I am not sure if it was first prize. I have a photo of that.

Then comes the sports day. I sure got everything very early in life. That includes knowing my weaknesses too. I was always a very slow eater. Thats one thing I have never been able to master in the first 22 years of my life (dont think its gonna change much hence :P ) Anywayz, we had a running race in the sports day. I got selected for that cos I was a decent runner. But the problem was that on the sports day, we had to run for some distance, eat one banana, drink a glass of milk and then run the remaining distance. I was the first to reach the banana by quite some distance, then took my time to sincerely finish the banana. By the time I looked up, I could find only all the parents in sight giggling at me. Then I heard my mother say, its ok just run the remaining distance. I asked her what about the milk, and everyone else started laughing. So, I just ran the distance and finished obviously first...from the last...

My birthday that year was special. All my uncles attended it and I cut the cake at the stroke of 10am, when I was born. It was something nice. I had got 2 extra packets of chocolates, which me and my cousin deepa alone finished entirely sitting on the roof. And when I came down, I was hating eclairs!

The day my maternal grandfather died is etched in my memory forever. I have never seen my paternal grandparents. Even my sis only vaguely remembers them. All I know about my grandfather was that he used to get me "balpams" whenever I wanted. I used to scribble a lot with those, and I liked them as they are long and like a pencil. He had paralysis for some 3-4 years before. He had a heart attack and was admitted in a serious condition. When the doctors said that he will have only a few hours left, my grandmother opted to bring him home. All this, ofcourse, I was unaware. On the day of my social studies exam, my mother made a routine call in the morning on the way to drop me to school. She told me that her father was in a serious condition, I had a choice either to miss the exam and come with her or to go to school. I asked her whether my cousins will be there. She told me yes and all I was thinking was playing with them and said I wanted to join her. It feels bad thinking about it, but all I did that day was play with all the kids. They called me up to say the final words to him and he blessed me (and somehow only me), though I had forgot what he said. I always feel a bit flustered to be "special". Maybe thats why I am humble. Anywayz, after he died, my sis cried like mad. It was shocking as it was the first time I have seen my bossy sister emotional and crying. I was also there when they took out his eyes to donate, though I could never catch a glimpse of how they actually did it. I thought then that I should also donate my eyes once I am dead, though now, its pretty weak and dont think its worth donating.

No comments: