Saturday, September 25, 2004

Year 4

It was the final year (atleast for most of us in the batch), and we were getting increasingly impatient to get out of the university. One thing thats peculiar in life is that we always wanna get out of our present and move ahead to the future and then once in the future, realise how much better the past was! That reinforces my point that you should never worry about the past or think about the future, just live in the present. We were busy with academics, final year project (which started off badly and in the end, made me look good) and job search in the later half. I spent most of the time in the canteen and on the playground. Its maybe irony that only in the last year was I able to prove that I was really good at cricket. I have played for Div 1-3 over the four years, but this year, I played for both Div1 and Div3 simultaneously and I was doing well in both. Collectively I had more scalps than anyone else in Singapore. This resulted in my Half-Color award by the university at the end. My cricketing career in university was a tale of delayed opportunity.

With regards to my love life, everything went smooth and nice. It was progressing along and we got more intimate. I used to feel a bit sad that I wouldnt be able to give my parents the chance to choose my wife, but apart from that, I knew that I had made the right choice. She doesnt look all that great, but I knew I loved her and thats all it mattered. So many people have back-stabbed me over the years that I was really happy that I found a person who cares about me and is a nice friend and gives me true love. I hate to admit it, but now that I think of it, I should have been more prudent. But for me, I think 10 times before I do anything, but once I am into something, I never look back. Probably I was blindly doing somethings, but what to do. Thats the way I am.

At the end of it ofcourse, the job search was hell. The economy was really down due to 9/11 and I couldnt have graduated at a worse time. I had to wait 2 months and 650 applications before I got my first interview call. And after sitting through 4 levels of interview, I finally landed up a job in Phillip Securities (famously assumed as Philips- the electronics company). It wasnt paying well, but what the heck, during bad times, you take what comes to you.

Fourth year was Frantic.

No comments: