Saturday, September 25, 2004

Std 8

Eighth was a dream. It went off so fast! But it was memorable for a lot of things. We probably had the best set of teachers of all the sections. AC was again the tamil teacher, and I began to like the tamil prose and poetry a lot. Especially purananooru attracted me a lot, while Thirukkural continued to amaze me for the wealth of meaning it contained in 7 words. Mrs. Padmashree Ramesh (PR) was our class teacher and social studies as well. She was nice and we had a lot of fun together as a class. Whenever it was her class, we could take it for granted as a free period. Not that she did not teach us anything, but that she made sure we had our share of fun.

I had developed a liking for psuedo-sciences like Astrology, Numerology and Palmistry. My father was pretty good at everything but he refused to divulge anything to me. I had to pester him a lot to get a book on the same for my birthday. Even after I got one, I had to be in constant search for the book as my parents used to hide it from me. Or sometimes even my sister in the course of a fight. I remember seeing numerology and palmistry for PR(my first victim outside my flat).

Mrs. Sarita Prasad was for hindi, and somehow magically my hindi average was 90+. I still have no clue how I got that. Mrs. Valsa Balaji was for english and I was awed by her english skills. Though I found her accent a bit funny at times, she increased my interest in poetry, as we had to do a lot of poetry comprehension, even outside the book. At the end of the year, we were all so overwhelmed by Mrs. Padmashree Ramesh that we requested her to take classes in 9th also. She was probably the most liked teacher by my section in the whole PSBB life.

But I was really sad at the end of it, as I did not get the expected All Rounder prize. Not only that I thought I was the best suited for that, I was upset that the number sequence 2...4...6... did not continue.

No comments: