Saturday, September 25, 2004

Std 5

The story continues...It was pretty much the same as 4th standard, with the same bunch of students (for once). Some interesting incidents did happen. There was some TM (Transidental Meditation) classes, which everyone hated. I was sincere while doing it, though inside everyone hated it to the core as it was encroaching upon our games classes. People used to do a lot of gimmicks and mock the teacher during TM.

One incident I really feel sad and bad about till date happened then. Probably because this was the first time my friend back-stabbed me. We used to play paper-ball cricket in the Primary Block of our school with some seniors and batch mates. We were warned before not to come late after the lunch break was over. On that particular day, I finished my batting (with an exam pad) and heard the lunch bell ring. So, I asked one of my friends to come along to the class, but he was awaiting his batting chance and said no. Then I ran back to the class and reached before the teacher did. Then, the rest of the troupe came along a bit late and got scolded by the teacher. I heard then that they were caught by our sports master and reprimanded and that took some time. But the shocking news came when they said that I was also part of the gang but somehow escaped once the sports master had caught them. This was totally unfair and I explained my point of view. But there were some 3-4 guys vouching I was also caught and sadly, in a democracy, majority wins, even though it may not be right. Probably for the first and last time, I had to lead the guys to Mrs. Balambal, me being a part of the guilty. I forgave them for that, but I could never forget that as I hadnt made a mistake and still was punished. Cruel Life.

The other incident was the poetry-recitation competition. It was one english poem, though I dont remember which one. I was selected to recite that in front of the entire secondary sections (Std 6 to Std 12) during the morning assembly session (GA). I was not afraid of any crowd, and I began nicely, but in the middle I had forgot a word. I instinctively told "chi" and repeated the line. Everyone started laughing. That probably cost me the prize, but I did what I found right. I dont really bother about what others think about me. All I was concerned was that I should do what I thought was right, and if I was wrong, I have to accept it.

Mrs. Usha Mohan was still our class teacher and almost the entire teachers were the same. Except that our tamil teacher was Mrs. Vedavalli. She happened to be my neighbour's daughter. So, she used to frequent my house. I remember once when I tried to impress her by reading Tamil standing outside. That was probably the only time people saw me studying :P I generally do my work in afternoons when everyone else will be sleeping, so no one ever notices me touching a single book. Even then, I would be just ok with notebooks and class notes. I hated and still hate reading through books. I feel books have too much of unwanted things, trying to make it "clear" and "exhaustive". Anywayz, my attempt at trying to impress was rightfully and properly countered by none other than my father and sister. They asked me why I was suddenly studying and that too tamil and that too outside the house and that too only when the teacher came. That was as blunt as it can get and I felt ashamed and went inside. Never did I open any book after that ever :P

At the fag end of my primary, after all the exams, when we had nothing to do but go to school and play, our tamil teacher organized a debating session. People were asked to prepare on whether they liked their mother or father the best. I remember that I was the only one supporting father. And I did my best to argue my point, though the debate itself tried to go along the lines of "patti pandram" that we see on tv. Later, I received a nice compliment through the teachers daughter when she saw me in my house. I took it as an acknowledgement that I can still stand by what I think is right even if everyone else thinks otherwise.

One of the ex-PSBB teachers used to live in my flat. One day, she had come to the school to visit the faculty. When she came into our class, I was surprised. She asked for Dilip, but my class teacher dint know who Dilip was. We were just having an english lesson, where there was a phrase "Dilip, it is coming towards us!" and I somehow felt really shy because of all that. I bent down to hide myself, but later gave myself up. Then followed the giggles and jokes of my classmates. Out of my school mates, only a few actually know my pet name, those who were with me in 5th i.e.

I was expecting my all rounder award this year, as I thought I was the most eligible in the class, but sadly, I did not get it. But I did not feel sad. I was thinking 2..4..then logically should be 6...so I was waiting for next year to get one more.

3 comments:

maheshbalaji said...

ada paavi! nee ennathaan thamizh padichiyo! athu 'patti-mandram' da!

maheshbalaji said...

ada paavi! nee ennathaan thamizh padichiyo! athu 'patti-mandram' da!

Random Access said...

I remember telling you just some hours back that typo errors will always be ther! Sorry abt tht...